Braised Veal Shanks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and mix well. Dust veal shanks in the seasoned flour, shake off excess.
- Heat a large frypan over a medium high heat, add a little oil. Brown the veal shanks well on all sides. Remove and place them in a small roasting dish or large casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in pan and add a little extra oil, add the celery, leek and carrot cook for 1-2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Gradually pour in the combined stock, wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and parsley. Stir until the mixture boils. Pour over the veal shanks. Cover the dish tightly with its lid or foil, place in oven. Cook for 1½-2 hours or veal shanks are very tender. Turn the shanks occasionally and adjust the heat as it cooks if needed. You may need to add a little beef stock or water if it appears too dry. Serve shanks with pasta or mashed potato and a spoonful of the thickened sauce.
- Cooktop method: Place the browned veal shanks and other ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low. Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients well covered.